Driving Licence Australia:
The Government of Australia through local State and Territory Governments issues driving licence to all the eligible residents of Australia. Such issued driving licence is valid throughout the country. Australian driving licence authorizes the holder to operate one or more type of motor vehicles depending on the class of license. Apart from authorizing the holder to drive motor vehicles Australian drivers license serves as best identity proof and residence proof in all the official works.
License to Drive:
If you are a resident of Australia and planning to drive a motor vehicle for the first time you must apply for the driving license. In Australia to get a driver’s license one has to apply for the learners permit and then must hold the learners permit for six months before applying for the provisional license.
- Learners permit.
- Provisional License.
- Full drivers license.
Australia Driver Licence Types, Classes & Conditions:
Australian Driver Licenses are classified into different types depending on the vehicle you choose to drive. The main types of Australian Driver Licenses are:
- Car Licence.
- Motorcycle Licence.
- Light Rigid driver licence.
- Heavy rigid driver licence.
- Heavy Combination Driver Licence.
- Multi Combination Driver Licence.
Driver Licence Classes in Australia:
- Class C Driver Licence or Car Licence.
- LR Driver Licence or light rigid Driver Licence.
- MR Driver Licence or Medium rigid Driver Licence.
- HR Driver Licence or Heavy rigid Driver Licence.
- HC Driver Licence or Heavy combination Driver Licence.
- MC Driver Licence or Multi combination Driver Licence.
- RE Class Driver Licence – Motorcycle Licence.
- R Class Driver Licence – Motorcycle Licence.
- UD Class Driver Licence – Specially Constructed Vehicles.
Class C or Car Licence:
Car Licence or class c authorizes you to drive motor vehicles with trailers or without trailer and the weight of the vehicle should not exceed 4.5 ton. (Example: cars, jeeps, trucks etc.)
You can drive a moped with electrical engine or an internal combustion engine of maximum capacity 50ML.
LR Driver Licence or light rigid Driver Licence:
- LR driver licence enables you to drive all the class c vehicles.
- Bus or Truck whose weight must not exceed 8 ton.
MR Driver Licence or Medium rigid Driver Licence:
- MR driver licence enables you to drive all the LR class vehicles.
- Bus or Truck whose weight can exceed 8 ton but limited up to 2 axels.
HR Driver Licence or Heavy rigid Driver Licence:
- HR driver licence enables you to drive all the MR class vehicles.
- Bus or Truck whose weight can exceed 8 ton and you can go for more than 2 axels.
HC Driver Licence or Heavy Combination Driver Licence:
- HC driver licence enables you to drive all the HR class vehicles.
- Truck whose weight can exceed 8 ton and a trailer of more than 9 ton weight.
MC Driver Licence or Multi Combination Driver Licence:
- MC driver licence enables you to drive all the HC class vehicles.
- AB-double with 1 semi trailer.
- A road train.
The Government of Australia issues mainly two types of motorcycle licences they are:
RE Class Driver Licence – Motorcycle Licence:
RE class motorcycle licence allows you to operate the following vehicles:
- Moped with electrical engine or an internal combustion engine of maximum capacity 50ML.
- A learner approved 2 or 3 wheeled motorcycle.
R Class Driver Licence – Motorcycle Licence:
R class motorcycle licence allows you to operate the following vehicles:
- 2 wheeled motorcycle with unlimited engine size and you may carry a trailer.
- 3 wheeled motorcycle with unlimited engine size and you may carry a trailer.
Specially Constructed Vehicle Class:
This class of driver licence is issued to the vehicles which are specially constructed vehicles for example agricultural equipments, cranes etc. The only type of licence which is issued under this category is class UD driver licence.
UD Class Driver Licence – Specially Constructed Vehicles:
UD class driver licence authorizes you to operate the following type of vehicles.
- Agricultural machines like tractor, harvester etc.
- Earthmoving equipments.
Licence Types in Australia:
L – Learner Licence
P – Provisional Licence or Probationary Licence or Restricted licence.
P1 – Provisional Licence or Probationary Licence or Restricted licence.
P2 – Provisional Licence or Probationary Licence or Restricted licence.
O – Open Licence.
L – Learner Licence:
L licence type indicates the learner licence in Australia, generally this L licence is the most primary licence and it enables and authorizes a person to learn the motor vehicles.
Licence Conditions in Australia:
A – Automatic Condition
B – Vehicles with Synchromesh Gear box.
I – Nominated Vehicles.
M – Must drive with a current medical certificate.
RD – Authorizes to learn to drive motor vehicle.
S – Must drive with Corrective lenses.
Or V – Vehicle with adapted driver aids.
X1 – Can drive according to the section 87 or section 88.
X3 – Must carry a special hardship order while driving.
X4 – Can drive according to the section 79E.
Australian Capital Territory – ACT Driving Licence
New South Wales – NSW Driving Licence
Northern Territory – NT Driving Licence
Queensland – QLD Driving Licence
South Australia – SA Driving Licence
Tasmania – Tas Driving Licence
Victoria – Vic Driving Licence
Western Australia – WA Driving Licence
How to get drivers licence in Australia?
To get an Australian drivers licence in Australia one has to follow the simple steps mentioned below they are:
Once after attaining 15 years 9 months age the residents of Australia are eligible applying for learners permit.
Step1: Must complete a road ready learners license course.
Step2: Must pass a computerized knowledge test on Australia road rules.
Step3: Must pass an eye test.
Step4: Submit your Identity proof and proof of residency.
Step5: Pay the prescribed fess and obtain your learners license.
Step6: learn to drive or practice driving for at least six months.
Step7: pass the driving test.
Step8: pay the prescribed fees to get your provisional license.
Step9: upgrade to the full license.
How to apply for Learners license in Australia?
If you are thinking to get a driving licence its better to apply for learners licence first. Once after getting the eligibility applying for the learner’s license to obtain a learner’s licence one has to complete road ready learners licence course.
Eligibility Applying for Learners licence in Australia:
- Must be a resident of Australian Capital Territory (Australia).
- Age must be 15 years and 9 months or above.
Learners Licence Required Documents:
- Full Identification Proof Document.
- Proof of residency (Australia residency).
Learners license applying process in Australia:
- Visit your nearest Access Canberra service Center along with your Knowledge test certificate, your Identity proof document, Address proof document and the prescribed fees.
- Take the learners licence application form fill it and submit it to the authorized person at Access Canberra service Center.
- After submitting your learners licence application form you will be preceded for an eye test and you should pass it.
- If you pass the eye test you can obtain your learners license after paying the learners licence fees.
- Once after getting your learners license you will be allowed to practice driving under the supervision of an experienced full licence holder.
- To get your provisional licence you must be at least 17 years old and must hold a valid learners license.
Learners Permit Test:
Learners permit test is test which is conducted based on the Australia road rules. Learners permit test is a written knowledge test. Learners permit test can be prepared on your own by downloading the material from Australia drivers licence official portal. If you are in school the Government of Australia has made it compulsory to teach this subject. And you can even practice the knowledge assessment by visiting the road ready center.
Once after getting the learners licence, the holder can practice driving under the supervision of an experienced fully licensed driver. Driving lessons can be taken from the authorized driving schools. The advantage of taking driving lessons from a professional and authorized driving instructor is you can get your driving skills perfectly.
How to apply for Provisional Licence in Australia?
Once after the successful driving lessons and driving practice and holding the learners licence for a period of at least 6 months then the learner license holder in Australia will be eligible applying for the provisional licence. For obtaining a provisional license in Australia the learner licence holder must take a practical driving test and must pass the practical driving test.
Eligibility Applying for a Provisional licence in Australia:
- Must be a resident of Australian Capital Territory (Australia).
- Age must be 17 years or above.
Provisional license applying process in Australia:
- Visit the Access Canberra Center where you have applied and obtained your learners license along with your learner’s license.
- Book an appointment for taking the practical driving test or driving assessment.
- The appointment can be booked online by visiting the Australia official portal or by phone.
- On the day of your appointment you must be on time along with a registered and well conditioned vehicle displaying L boards on it and your practical driving test time will be for about 55 minutes so make sure the vehicle to get sufficient fuel.
- After the successful completion of your practical driving test you will get a passed certificate signed by the examiner.
- Visit the Access Canberra Center along with the practical driving test certificate, your learner’s license and the prescribed fees for provisional license.
- Submit the practical driving test certificate, your learner’s license to the authorized person and pay the prescribed fees to earn your provisional driving license.
Practical Driving test:
Once after getting the learners license, after completing the learners license period one has to apply for the provisional license in Australia. To obtain the provisional license one has to pass the practical driving test which is conducted by a qualified examiner at the Access Canberra Center. Practical driving test duration is about 55 minutes and for the test learner license holders must get their own vehicle. The ones who pass the practical driving test they will be eligible for getting the provisional license in Australia.
How to Renew Drivers licence online in Australia?
The Government of Australia is providing an official portal where the existing driving license holders can renew their driving licence online. To renew or for applying drivers license renewal online one should posses their driving license number with them and they must be able to pay the driving license renewal fees with Visa or master cards. The ones who intend to renew their existing Australia drivers Licence online they can renew it for about 5 years.
Drivers Licence Renewal Online Procedure in Australia:
- Visit the Driving Licence official Government portal of Australia
- Click renew online button for renewing your drivers licence.
- Renew Licence window will be displayed asking your Driving Licence number and your date of birth.
- Enter your Australia Driving Licence number and your date of birth and click the next button.
- A window will be displayed with your Australia license details.
- Pay the prescribed by using your Visa or master card online.
- After the successful payment your driving licence renewal confirmation will be displayed.
- Download the acknowledgement or confirmation.
- Visit your nearest Access Canberra Center along with the acknowledgement or confirmation to get your renewed driving licence.
Apply Driving Licence Renewal Online in Australia – https://www.australia.gov.au/
Renew Driving License Online in Australia – https://www.australia.gov.au/
How to apply for Driving Licence Renewal in Australia?
The residents of Australian Capital Territory (Australia) can renew their driving license either online or they can renew by visiting their nearest Access Canberra Center in person. The advantage of renewing your driving licence in person is you can renew it for 10 years period while online it is only for 5 years.
What type of driving license holders can apply for renewal in person?
- If the Driving licence holder want to renew driving license for a period of 10 years.
- If the license is suspended or cancelled.
- If the license is disqualified.
- If the license demands a new photo.
- If the license has expired 5 years ago.
- If you are not able to pay by Visa or master cards.
If you are reaching any of the above said points then in such case you must apply drivers license renewal in person otherwise you can renew your driving licence online.
Renew your Driving Licence in person:
- Visit your nearest Access Canberra service Center along with your existing license, prescribed fees and the other things like photo if required.
- Take a Drivers license renewal application form and fill it and submit it to the authorized person along with your existing driver’s license.
- Pay the prescribed fees to obtain your renewed license.
How to Replace Stolen/Damaged/Lost Driving Licence in Australia?
The residents of Australian Capital Territory (Australia) can replace their stolen or damaged or lost driving licence by visiting their nearest Access Canberra service Center. For applying the replacement of license one has to provide primary proof document.
Replace your Stolen/Damaged/Lost Driving Licence Process:
- Visit your nearest Access Canberra service Center along with your primary proof document and a copy of your driver’s license if you have it.
- Take a Drivers license replacement application form and fill the application form.
- Submit the Replace stolen or damaged or lost driving licence application form along with your primary identification proof.
- Pay the prescribed fees to get your renewed or replacement drivers licence.
How to change Address on Driving licence in Australia?
You can change address on driving licence online or in person by visiting Access Canberra service Center nearby you. Even if you are applying for the drivers licence renewal or renewing your driving license at that time you can apply for renewal and address change both at the same time.
Change Address on Driving License Process:
- Visit your nearest Access Canberra service Center along with your existing driver’s license and a copy of your new address proof.
- Take a change address on driving license application form and fill the application form.
- Submit the change address on driving license application form and your latest residency proof.
- Pay the prescribed fees for the address change on your driver’s license to get a renewed driving license with new address.
Change Address on Driving License Online in Australia – https://www.australia.gov.au/
Address change on your driving licence Online in Australia – https://www.australia.gov.au/
In Australian Capital Territory (Australia) the license test will be conducted by a qualified examiner where the applicants who have applied for the license test/ driving test/ driving assessment. During this license test, the applied person will be tested on his practical driving skills. To obtain a driving license the applicant must pass this license test.
Online Driving Test:
In Australian Capital Territory (Australia), the driving test slot can be confirmed either by online or by phone or by visiting the Access Canberra service Center in person. The Government of Australia is providing the online driver services the ones who want book a slot for appearing the practical driving test/ license test/driving test they can visit the portal they can book a slot for the online driving test.Sponsored Links
International drivers licence – https://www.australia.gov.au/
International drivers license – https://www.australia.gov.au/
International Driving Permit – https://www.australia.gov.au/
Apply Driving License Online in Queensland
Apply Driving License Online in South Australia
Apply Driving License Online in Tasmania
Apply Driving License Online in Victoria
Apply Driving License Online in Western Australia